Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Second Letter From Clarence Langford

The following letter was written by Clarence Langford to Martha Laurena Langford Jones on March 2, 1957. It was on stationary of the Langford Construction Co., Douglas, Arizona. The letter is hand written, and I'm not sure about the spelling of some of the names. Allen Leigh 2/24/2009

------------------------------
Dear Martha,
About the next day after my arrival from Mexico I received your last letter. I was very glad to hear from you again and more so after not answering your other letter. You asked me two certain questions in this first letter. One of them I couldn't answer before going to Oaxaca. However I meant to answer your letter before I left but didn't expect to be gone longer than ten days. You asked me how far it was from where the road (present road) passes your house. I stepped it and it is very close to 125 steps or yds. The old Mormon road used to go right by your house and up a canyon and down one, to the river, which we called in those days 1st crossing and there about 1/2 mile farther to 2nd crossing. The present road does not cross the river. It is not advisable to go to Oaxaca by car. Neither by way of El Tigre. It is still a country road and the high centers are bad. However I have been to Oaxaca by car and also to El Tigre. But it is better to go down in pickup truck. I went to Oaxaca to get 15 sac cement. While there I asked Mr Moralas if he would fly you over the coal ovens that Uncle Ike built. and he said he would. So when you get ready come down and we'll go to Oaxaca and then you can fly up there.
I was gone on the last trip just three weeks. I built a cement rock drinking trough 3' X 5' ft inside by 20" deep. We also walled up the spring like a wall for ten feet high. Mabe some time you can go up there with us and get a cool drink of that water. It sure was good to drink (this about 15 miles from Oaxaca).
Martha I was very glad to know  some thing about you and Bert and May. And I trust one of these days I may have the pleasure of meeting you again. My boys talked about buying a farm near Enterprise Utah last Nov. Two days before your letter arrived my son Melvin called me by phone and told me they had bought the farm. They are interested with Orlondo and I also in Mexico. We have a 50 acre farm about 18 mi above Oaxaca. We also are interested in a ranch at Oaxaca but have never been able to raise enough money.
Martha, I thought you would like to have these bricks which I took from the northwest corner of your house. There were 3 courses still in place. At the southeast corner there are yet 5 courses in place. About 20 ft. from the southeast corner of the house lies the mulberry tree. It is all of two feet in diameter. It apparently was uprooted by the wind, as the roots are still on the butt end of the trunk of the tree. I broke off this piece enclosed with the brick. I shall send this box which I made to you by express. I well remember for this tree when it was alive and green.
The only recollection  I have, or the last I should say, of Uncle Ike was when he was sitting on a horse and was talking to Aunt Rose. He was telling her what plucky little animals the burro was to pack such a heavy load over the rough mountain trail.
I talked with John Loveing first before I left for Mexico and he said he had received a letter from you and that he answered your letter. He said to tell you that he could but say anything but good about Uncle Ike and his family. So in the meantime let us live in sweet memory of him who helped place the trails of our yesterdays. I hope you do meet the boys soon. I'll remember them.
With love
Clarence

No comments:

Post a Comment