Tuesday, September 15, 2015

First Letter From Clarence Langford

The following letter was written by Clarence Langford to Martha Laurena Langford Jones on January 22, 1957. It was on stationary of the Langford Construction Co., Douglas, Arizona. The letter is hand written, and I'm not sure about the spelling of some of the names. Allen Leigh 2/23/2009

------------------------------

Dear Martha,

When I opened your letter and began to read I was anxious to look for the last page to see who was writing to me. But instead I read it through and was yet surprised it was from you, but glad and very much delighted to hear from you direct after so long. I have heard about you all through the years from the girls in Utah. As I recollect, you had a younger sister by name, Anna May and of course Bertren. I have heard about him through my bro. Fount who lives at Overton Nevada. I also remember that Fount and Bert were born the same night at Oaxaca. I was sorry to hear that he and Ada had passed away. And I remember about hearing of Aunt Rene's passing. Now Martha you sure have contacted the right party to get the information you ask for. The first time I saw the rock kilns that Uncle Ike built was in 1927. My bro. Orlondo, my wife and I went to El Tigre called in the old days (Santa Rosa). As we left El Tigre by horseback Orlondo pointed out to my wife and I the kilns just above the town of El Tigre, close by the trail, that goes over the pass, not far above the kilns. This pass is 9000 ft elevation. From the pass you go over and into La Pita Canyon which runs east and enters into the Baoispi river about 8 miles above Oaxaca.

Although I haven't been over the trail from El Tigre since 1927 Orlondo has many times, as he has lived in Mexico altogether since 1930. The kilns I am sure are still intact. You as you say can go west from El Tigre to Esqueda (railroad point) 35 miles. Then 56 mi. north along the railroad to Douglas or by rail to Douglas from Esqueda. The railroad continues from Esqueda south to the mining town of Nacozarig about 50 mi behind Esqueda and ends there.

It is 80 miles from Douglas to Oaxaca southeast of Douglas. It is very close to 28 miles from Oaxaca to El Tigre (horseback only from Oaxaca).

You can go up the river Puniles from Oaxaca and then up La Pita canyon to El Tigre. It is a little nearer by trail to take off about 3 miles above Oaxaca at Chillotipin where John Reneher lived and go over the mountains and drop into La Rita Canyon. There is a landing strip along the river at the upper end of Oaxaca. A cattleman by name of Moralas has a ranch from Oaxaca up the river he lands a plane right along at Oaxaca for the past three years. It has been about three years since I was over to where uncle Ike's house was. But I remember it was built of brick and there was a mulberry tree close to the house. The brick walls are down but the foundation is still sell defined but I am not sure that the mulberry tree is there yet.

Mr. Moralas asked me the other day if I would go down to Oaxaca and build two water troughs out of rock and cement up in the hills about 15 miles west and north from Oaxaca. I will make it a point to see anything that is left of Uncle Ike's house. We have an other prospect about 18 miles above Oaxaca also and on the river on a farm Orlondo has lived for the past year. We have another prospect this side of Oaxaca about 8 mi and north about 7 mi. also. I was down to see Orlondo the last trip in Sept last. Orlondo came out about two weeks ago and went back to harvest his crop. I am going down in a couple of days. My sister Pearl wrote me in Dec. I answered her letter and was telling her about Oaxaca and all the scenes of our childhood. When you see her again tell her you would like to go down. She has promised to come and visit me for 8 yrs. I can land you at Oaxaca by plane, but that's the nearest point by plane to El Tigre. John Loving lives at Chandler Arizona. He was here and talked to Ron during the Holidays. I have his correct address here but first now I don't find it. However a letter would reach him at Chandler Ariz. The latter part of last year he came to serer me a number of times about our copper mine above Oaxaca. He has a bro. here by the name of Bill Loving and John comes over from Chandler quite often.

Please write to us again and tell us about your family and all. We have four sons at Las Vegas Nevada also two daughters. They have (the boys) have been on one or two occasions to Enterprise , Utah.
Martha, any time you would like to make the trip down there I will be pleased go do all I can to assist you in any way. I remain with love,

Your cousin Clarence Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment